Use this checklist as a guide while writing as
this list will be used to grade your assignment.
DOES THIS MATHEMATICAL REPORT:
- show evidence of correct
understanding and contain correct mathematics? This is worth more.
- give a precise and well-organized explanation of how the solution was
- discuss the mathematics in your own words?
- define all variables, terminology, and notation used?
- use professional notation for each formula such as
131000 = 1000*(1 + rate) 100
- clearly explain each formula that was used,
explain where it can be found,
state the assumptions needed, and explain
why it is appropriate to use in this case?
summarize and explain diagrams, tables,
graphs, or other visual representations of the math?
Whenever possible, summarize data in a graph, chart or picture.
Incorporate the graphic into the main report right after the
first time you mention it. Don't
include graphs or charts that aren't referenced or explained in the text.
- give evidence of deep mathematical
understanding of the problem(s) and
solution(s)? This is worth more.
- give clear and (if possible) concise explanations?
- includes all the mathematics and discussions from lab along with the
web reading updates and a comparison
of the earnings and distribution of the funds with Ben Franklin's wishes?
- contain an introduction that introduces the
major themes by summarizing what will be done in the
paper, and a conclusion?
- contain reasonably lengthed paragraphs and sections
with well defined themes?
Break reports more than two pages long into sections, and
begin each section by telling the reader what you will be presenting.
- use correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation? In Word,
red underlined text means incorrect spelling.
- use modern English?
- written in your own words and not Dr. Sarah's nor the web reference words?
- address the appropriate audience who is educated
but does not know the mathematics that we are using in this course?
think of yourself as a worker trying to explain his/her specialized
work to an executive who is interested, educated, but
clueless about what you do.
- have a consistent writing style throuought and
flow smoothly when read out loud? Have someone else read it to you,
or read it to someone else. This is worth more.
- show evidence that the mathematics and the history flow well together?
This is worth more.
- look professional?
- contain graphs within the text (not as appendices)?
- contain professional-looking equations that flow well within the
- give acknowledgment to references where it is due?
- contain a completed self evaluation checklist?